|Form vs. Function:
Hopefully the previous paragraph gave you the idea that you can't sacrifice one for the other when it comes to your bedding. Obviously the function of a bed is to provide comfort while sleeping, resting, etc. The form of the bed is too provide the environment that comforts your mind and soul when you are in the room. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive.
Basic Needs for Function
- Fitted Sheet to provide barrier between the mattress and the sleeper
- Duvet to provide warmth
- Duvet Cover to provide protection for the duvet
- 1 Pillow per person to provide comfort for the sleeper's head
- Pillowcase to provide protection for the pillow
If this is the list that you have on your bed, congratulations you have achieved the minimalist style. If you were not trying to, help is coming.
Basic Needs for Form
In addition to the items required for basic function, to add life to your bedroom you should consider:
- A bed skirt to cover the box spring and dust bunnies lurking under your bed or if you have a bed with side rails at least a second fitted sheet to cover the box spring
- A flat Sheet to provide added protection for the duvet cover (you do not have to wash the cover as much and thus will not fade as fast.)
- A second layer of pillows (2 more for a total of 4)
- Using pillow shams to cover the second layer of pillows. Shams are more decorative and usually have flanges or ruffles that allow them to be seen when placed behind the pillowcases
Now your bed should be starting to take shape and should be pleased to look at. However, if you like to do things in grand style there are many options that you can add to your bedroom.
The Well Made Bed
To have a stunning bedroom consider adding some of the following items:
- Third layer of pillows, you can either add 2 continental pillows or a full back cushion which sits against the headboard or the wall.
- Shams or covers for the third layer of pillows
- A couple of cushions for in front of the pillowcases, 16 x 16 toss and or neckroll
- A featherest or featherbed to provide added sleeping comfort and to provide an inviting look.
- Co-ordinating decorator drapes and blouson valance.